No matter where you live and no matter what the season, there may be a time when you come across a downed power line. Most people know that touching a live power line can cause serious injury or death. However, many times you can’t tell by looking whether a line is “hot” or not. Even if a downed line isn’t actively sparking, you must always assume it is carrying electricity.
So, what should you do when you come across a downed power line? Follow these important tips:
- Don’t go near the wire, or anything it is touching.
- Warn others to stay away.
- Call your local police or fire department.
It’s important to provide the exact location when reporting an electric emergency, so to ensure proper aide, provide some of the following information:
- The nature of the emergency and whether personal injury or danger is involved
- The village or community in which the line is down, along with the house number, street name, and nearest cross street and direction (north, east, south, or west) from the location.
- If you can, locate the pole number or the nearest phone number at the location if available.
Always remember to keep your distance from the line also and ensure that others do not go near it till help arrives. You can also call Delta Electric for assistance!
We offer prompt professional service on any commercial, residential, or mobile-home electrical work you need and service the South Bay area. Don’t forget to bookmark our site so you’ll have our contact information handy when you need us. And for all your electrical installation, maintenance, and repair needs, call or email Delta Electric today!