Electrical Panel Upgrades in San Jose
For most homeowners, opening your main electrical panel is something you rarely do. While this may be true, your electrical panel still plays a vital role in your home, as it distributes power to all of your outlets and appliances. Your electrical panel is not unique—like everything else in your home it will eventually quit working properly and will need to be upgraded or replaced. If it’s time for an electrical panel upgrade in your San Jose home, call the expert residential electricians at Delta Electric. We have the skill and experience necessary to ensure your home, and your family, is as safe from electrical hazards as possible.
Dangers of an Old Electrical Panel
An old electrical panel isn’t just inconvenient—it can also be dangerous. Here are just a few of the risks you may face if you wait too long to replace your main panel.
- Fire Hazard: If your panel is no longer able to distribute electricity properly, it could overheat. This could lead to a fire that spreads to other parts of your home.
- Poor Electrical Function: As your electrical panel ages, you may find that your circuits trip even when you aren’t using much electricity. As you can imagine, this can be very frustrating.
- Power Failure: Eventually, your panel’s ability to distribute electricity will fail completely, leaving you and your family members in the dark. For the sake of your own safety and comfort, it’s important to recognize problems early and replace your panel in a timely manner.
Signs It’s Time to Upgrade Your Panel
Keeping tabs on your residential electrical panel is just another part of routine home maintenance. Here are a few reasons why you might have the San Jose electricians at Delta Electric replace your main panel.
- Old Age: The average home’s electricity needs has changed considerably in recent decades. If your panel was installed 30 years ago, you should seriously consider an upgrade.
- Insufficient Power: If you can only operate one or two appliances at a time, there’s something wrong with your main panel. A new panel can help solve your problem.
- Strange Sounds and Flickering Lights: An old panel may also cause your lights to flicker. A distinct cracking sound is another clear sign that a prompt replacement is necessary.
Federal Pacific (FPE) Warning:
FPE was one of the most common manufacturers of circuit breaker panels in North America from the 1950’s to the 1980’s. These panels potentially could fail to provide proper safety andprotection for homes. This Company was found by a State Court ruling during a class action suit to have violated the Consumer Fraud Act by knowingly and purposefully distributing circuit breakers which were not tested to meet UL standards. The breakers failed to trip causing the panel to overheat and catch fire. Many Federal Pacific Electric panels can and have operated properly for years, but if and when they malfunction, a serious event can occur.
Zinsco Panel Warning
Zinsco was once also extremely popular and installed in rriany housing tracts throughout North America. It was later discovered by electricians and home inspectors that certain Zinsco panels often fail to operate properly, leaving homeowners at risk to both fire and electrical shock. These electrical panels can work fine for years, but as homes have increased energy demands, these panels may overheat and circuit breakers melt to the bus bar. When this happens, the circuit breaker nolonger functions properly as protection against overcurrent or short, shutting off the current. This causes a fire hazard.
For high-quality electrical service in the San Jose area, call Delta Electric at (408) 224-0176 and check out our online specials. Our electricians can replace any electrical panels—including problematic Federal Pacific and Zinsco panels. Our skill, attention to detail, and superior customer service have earned us an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau.
Why Choose Us?
- Free Estimates on Installations
- Reasonable Rates
- No Hidden Charges
- 24-Hour Emergency Services
- Licensed and Insured