Its part of the holiday season that, to some, is the best part of the season. Bright lights, festive decorations all displayed for family and friends to enjoy and aide in creating the spirit of the holidays. But, if you’re planning to deck your halls this year chances are, you’ll end up using an extension cord to help you. While they are a convenient way to supply power right where you need it, they can also create hazards if not used safely.
Here are a few simple tips to help avoid a disaster this holiday season:
- Extension cords should only be used on a temporary basis.
- Make sure extension cords are properly rated for their intended use, indoor or outdoor, and meet or exceed the power needs of the appliance or device being used.
- Inspect cords for damage before use. Check for cracked or frayed sockets, loose or bare wires, and loose connections.
- Never use a cord that feels hot or is damaged in any way.
- Do not run extension cords through walls or ceilings. This may cause the cord to overheat, creating a serious fire hazard.
- Do not nail or staple electrical cords to walls or baseboards.
- Make sure that cords are not pinched in doors, windows, or under heavy furniture, which could damage the cord’s insulation.
- Keep extension cords out of high-traffic areas like doorways or walkways where they pose a tripping hazard.
- Insert plugs fully so that no part of the prongs is exposed when the extension cord is in use.